ACA & Tax Time

Reporting Health Coverage

Under current health care laws, most people, including children, must have health coverage. Health coverage can include employer-provided insurance, coverage you bought on your own, Medicaid (Health First Colorado), CHP+  or Medicare. If you or your family didn’t have health coverage in 2016, you may have to pay a fine. Before paying the fine, check here to see if you qualify for an exemption. If you do not qualify for an exemption, the fine for not having coverage in 2016 could be $695 per person ($347.50 per child under 18) or 2.5 percent of your yearly household income, whichever is greater. If you or your family had health coverage through:

Connect for Health Colorado: You will need a Form 1095-A to help report your coverage and reconcile tax credits you may have received. If you don’t receive the form by mid-February, check your online account for an electronic copy. If it’s not there, call Connect for Health Colorado, 1-855-PLANS-4YOU.

Medicaid (Health First Colorado), CHP+: You will need a Form 1095-B to help report your coverage. These forms should be mailed to you by January 31. If you don’t receive a form by mid-February, log in to to print a copy, or contact Medicaid at 1-800-221-3943.

Your Employer: Depending on the size of your company, your employer will send a Form 1095-C or Form 1095-B to help report your coverage. If you don’t receive a Form 1095-C or Form 1095-B, contact your employer benefits department.

Don’t get stuck paying an even higher penalty in 2017! You could qualify for free or lower-cost coverage. For more information visit, call 1-855-PLANS-4You (1-855-752-6749) or download our Health Coverage brochure in English and Spanish. For a list of health coverage guides in your area, click here. When meeting with a health coverage guide, please bring the materials you would bring to a tax preparer. For a complete list of materials, click here.